Sunday, June 17, 2007

In The Grind

I wrote this when I was studying at the University of Guelph. We were called 'The Gryphons." (What the hell is a gryphon anyway? It's what just kicked your ass!) I always found that saying humourous, because it wasn't based on actual fact, as I rarely went to a sports event that Guelph won.....but I digress. There was a great between class hangout on the campus called The Grind. It changed names my last year there to something else - I can't remember what it was, because everyone just kept calling the place The Grind anyway. I miss it. Oh well - here's the poem.

In The Grind

i watched you today
on the couch frowning
searching and reading

and marking with your
highlighter everything
that seemed important
to you

was there in that book
and you with that
unhappy look didn't

even notice when he
spilled some of his lunch
into your lap

Copyright © Catherine Young, 2007.

No comments: