Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Health Care

Haven't written for ages! Just got back from vacation....first in New York for my students' grad trip, then to the cottage in Bayfield, now back home again. I went to see Michael Moore's new film, "SiCKO", at the movies last night. I know that everything he does you have to take with a grain of salt, as he often provides only partial stories/facts that help him prove his points. That being said, I still think the amount of money people have to pay, and the politics that goes on with some health care providers, is extremely messed up and corrupt. So anyway, here's my poem. I couldn't figure out how I wanted to punctuate it, so I didn't.

Denied

sit there
cry there
wait and weep
with a child
too sick to sleep
will she live
another day
maybe
maybe
wait and pray
ask and plead
and beg for aid
the desperation in
your eyes conveyed
sorry
sorry
you've been denied
for you
for you
they won't provide
sorry
sorry
that they lied
the ribbons of your life untied
sorry
sorry
your daughter died.

Copyright © Catherine Young, 2007.

No comments: