Saturday, October 2, 2010

Nights on Limeylands

first, the time i slept
just beyond my nana's
hearth, smelling
the charred logs, and feeling the
heat's sting upon
my cheek.
i curled myself up into
a woolen ball
on her sheep skin rug,
and committed myself
to the night.

next, the time
there was no room
for my older sister -
nor I.
so, we were sent
to the motorhome
in the lane
the giggles into the
night
ceasing only when
the drunken men
stumbled home 'cross
our path
our humble
sleeping place
and briefly muted our
selfish laughter

last, my cousin's wedding
and the first time wine passed
my lips
again, and again, and again
outside of my mother's eyes
and when I awoke with
a desert in
my mouth
she laughed, and
was shocked my punishment
wasn't more severe

each night is a memory
that feels more like
a dream each year i live
and this strikes and
strains me with
an unyielding grief.

Copyright © Catherine Young, 2010.

No comments: